We all know that getting fit offers great benefits for your body, health, and physical wellbeing, but did you know that taking the time for regular workouts also benefits your mental health?
The link between physical activity and good mental and emotional wellbeing is something that has been well researched by experts, and a simple workout can have a huge range of advantages for your mental health. Want to know how? Then read on to learn the ways that a workout can boost your mental health!
1. It releases endorphins. One of the main benefits of a good workout is the release of endorphins that you will receive. This is a feel-good hormone, and when you exercise, it floods your body, leaving you feeling happy, positive, and ready to take on the world.
* Even just a simple walk can elevate your heart rate and release these all-important endorphins. No matter how sad, stressed or anxious you feel, you will feel better after a workout.
2. It improves your sleep. When you work out, you’re moving your body and using up energy, and this will have a positive impact on your sleep. Exercising will help you to enjoy deeper, more restful, and more restorative sleep, and this has plenty of benefits for your physical and mental health.
* Try and avoid working out too close to bedtime, as the endorphins can have the opposite effect and keep you awake. A gentle yoga stretch is okay, but try to schedule your runs or vigorous workouts for earlier in the day.
3. It gives you more energy. Exercise will boost your energy levels, helping you to feel more alert, vibrant and awake, and this, in turn, will have a positive impact on your overall mood. When you have more energy, you will be able to take on the world, meet your responsibilities, and enjoy life with more vigor.
* Try and cut down on caffeine. The boost you get from your work out will be enough to get you through your day.
4. It improves your resilience. When you first start working out, you are likely to find it tough. You may not be able to run for long, lift heavy weights, or touch your toes. The more you exercise, however, the more you will be able to do, and this will help you to build resilience and tenacity as you strive to improve.
* This resilience is something that you will soon bring to your everyday life, allowing you to tackle all manner of challenges with far more ease. You will soon feel confident that you can take on the world!
Building physical exercise into your daily routine is an important part of maintaining good physical health, but it also offers significant benefits for your mental and emotional wellbeing. The trick is to find a form of exercise that you love. This will allow you to have fun, get fit, and boost your mood, all at the same time.