If you’re spending most of your time at home due to recent events, it would be a great idea to find a hobby or two to occupy your time. The right hobby can be great for your sense of wellbeing.
There are hobbies that will boost your physical health and fitness, hobbies that are great for your emotional health, and even hobbies that boost both.
If you feel like your life is lacking, an interesting hobby might be the answer!
Try out some these healthy hobbies:
1. Hiking. You get fresh air, exercise, social distancing, and a great view while hiking. This is a great hobby for both your physical and emotional health. Unless you get serious, you probably already have adequate footwear. All you need to do is get out and start walking.
● If you live in the city, you can walk on a treadmill if the sidewalk doesn’t appeal to you. Set up a TV or computer screen and give yourself something enjoyable to look at while you walk.
2. Dancing. There’s no reason you can’t dance at home. You don’t have to worry about making a fool out of yourself, since you’ll have privacy. Pull up a few YouTube videos on the style of dance that interests you and dance your heart out.
3. Biking. Indoors or out, biking is great exercise and something that you can potentially do safely with others. You don’t need a fancy bike like a professional racer would use. A simple bike from a big box store, Craigslist, or a yard sale will suffice to start this healthy hobby.
4. Photography. Photography is a great solo hobby. Think about what you would like to take photos of and get started. There is plenty of educational material on the subject and free software to help make your photos perfect. The camera on your cell phone is more than enough to get started.
5. Music. You can listen to music, play an instrument, compose music, record your music and share it with others, or learn to play an instrument. Music provides plenty of opportunities to spend some time in an enjoyable way.
6. Art. You could paint, draw, sculpt, create mosaics, or do any other type of art that interests you. Art is a great way to express yourself emotionally. There are many art classes available online. Many of them are free!
7. Gardening. You can grow food, flowers, or other plants. Even during the winter in northern climates, you can have plants indoors. Gardening is a great way to add a little life to your life.
8. Writing. Have you ever wanted to write a novel? Start a blog? Write children’s stories or a screenplay? There’s nothing stopping you from getting started today.
What are a few hobbies that interest you? What has stopped you from giving them a try to this point in your life? Now might be the ideal time to add a hobby or two to your life.
Hobbies are enjoyable by definition. You have nothing to lose, because if you don’t enjoy it, you can drop it and try something else. Keep looking until you find a hobby that fits your lifestyle and interests. A great hobby can be a game-changer for your life!