Change can be simple if you start with one action at a time. As each small adjustment becomes part of your regular routine, you become happier, healthier, and more successful.
If you’ve been putting off taking action because it feels too overwhelming, try a more gradual approach. Start with this list of easy resolutions and add your own priorities.
Mental and Physical Health:
- Consume more fiber. Lose weight, control your blood sugar, and stay regular by eating plenty of fiber. Good sources include vegetables, fruits, and whole grains.
- Drink water. Staying hydrated gives you energy and supports healthy skin, digestion, and cell health. Carry a water bottle around with you so you can sip throughout the day.
- Exercise regularly. Physical activity burns calories and enhances your mental and physical wellbeing. Train for strength, flexibility, and heart health. Find a variety of activities you enjoy, so you’ll want to stick with your program for the long run.
- Sleep well. Go to bed and wake up on a consistent schedule. Turn off computers and televisions at least 2 hours before retiring to keep the mental stimulation and bright lights from interfering with your slumber.
- Manage stress. Chronic tension can cause inflammation, heart disease, and other serious conditions. Relax with daily meditation, instrumental music, and a warm bath.
- Think positive. Stay upbeat by focusing on the bright side. Give yourself a pep talk and look for ways to use setbacks to your advantage.
- Network vigorously. Warm up your network by cultivating your most important contacts and reaching out to new colleagues. Join a professional association or attend popular events in your industry.
- Continue learning. Increase your knowledge and update your skills. Take courses online and shadow top performers in your workplace.
- Dress for success. Use your appearance to make a positive first impression. Visit a salon for hairstyle and makeup tips that you can do at home. Shop for business clothes that make you feel attractive and confident.
- Take breaks. Heighten your performance by scheduling time off to relax. Pause between tasks to do something fun. Use up your vacation days.
- Stay focused. Concentrate on one task at a time and keep your career goals in mind. Being mindful and strategic will help you to accomplish more and increase the quality of your work.
- Add value. Think about what you contribute to your workplace. Devote your resources to the tasks that have the greatest impact.
- Give generously. Share your time, talents, and hospitality. Look for opportunities to help others with practical assistance or a kind word.
- Listen closely. Give others your full attention. You’ll strengthen your relationships and run into fewer conflicts.
- Offer forgiveness. Be quick to pardon others. You may be able to heal the relationship, or you may decide that you need to move on. Either way, you’ll benefit from giving up any resentment or hurt feelings.
- Stay in touch. Take care of the relationships that you value. Set up regular dates to get together with friends and reach out to old contacts who you haven’t seen in a while.
- Eat together. Sharing food brings people together. Enjoy family dinners as often as possible and host potluck gatherings for your friends.
- Smile more. Simply putting on a happy face can make you seem more attractive and likeable. Create a trigger that reminds you to smile. It could be a certain word or a frequent event like your phone ringing.
You can transform your life without having to move to a new city or train like an Olympic athlete. Focus on one simple action at a time and watch the benefits add up.